What You Can Find Here

This blog contains sentiments from a very sentimental person. Please bear with his sentimentality.

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Letter from Dr. John Watson

To whom it may concern,

I would like to express my utmost disappointment about the scandalous incident that took place in the 3rd of March this year. My trusted colleague and friend happened to gain curious information about what actually occurred at this particular date, and shared the same feelings towards the incident. Allow me to tell you his findings with the best of my memory.

It so happened that at a certain university, situated at the country where my colleague currently is, a group of students asked for permission to use what my acquaintance referred to as “a practice room,” probably for a shooting of some sort. I will not deprive you of the gist of my letter any further, so as not to seem obsessed with the said issue.

A teacher (I’m still considering if such a term is appropriate) suddenly knocked furiously at the door of the said room while the shooting is still in progress. It was apparent that needless anger took place, judging by the stunned and tear-stained faces of my friend’s classmates afterwards. He, eventually, was informed that this teacher reprimanded the group for practicing in the “practice room” (which is quite amusing), even though they asked for permission.

It was confirmed, through my colleague’s inquiry, that this teacher actually insulted and degraded the said students as she drove them out, calling them cruel names and uttering words which are evidently not suitable to come from the mouth of a “second parent.” From this point, I would like to let my opinion known about this matter, to speak against this atrocity that was committed at an unexpected place.

I would like to begin with a layman’s deductions. From the data accumulated, it was confirmed that no furniture or any equipment was damaged in the course of the shooting. Another fact is that the students asked permission beforehand before proceeding inside, and that shootings, even short plays, take at least 5-7 days, just like what one of my colleague’s classmates mentioned; hence, it is nonsensical that they ask for a 1-day permission only. With these facts laid out, I would like to throw a question at this… teacher. Did you scold them because they did something wrong, which is unlikely, or is this just for intimidation and reminding people about your nonexistent supremacy?

It is also speculated that this teacher used to hold a higher position in the school, and was suspected to be demoted for some obscured reasons. Now, assuming that this statement is factual, then can I safely assume that there is an ego-involvement in the scenario? That this teacher thought that this was a chance to show off her extinct authority?

While my man is practically unconcerned about the students involved, he, at the same time, believes that this act of injustice must be dealt with immediately. First, she must be reminded that the reason she has food to eat is because of the money the students she humiliated pay. Second, it is the duty of a teacher to nurture, not to insult, and to encourage, not to humiliate. This “teacher,” having fulfilled neither requirement, does not deserve to be called one in my opinion, especially if this unpleasant act continues.

My friend have observed this person since his first entrance to the university as a freshman. How she makes mountains out of molehills, how she seemingly exaggerates amusingly simple things, and appear irritated for no apparent reason, are some of her characteristics that he managed to observe. There are also speculations of favoritism, but I do not desire to explore this issue any further, for this will just bring us to one of the most hackneyed topics in society that will forever be a part of the culture of mankind.

As I end this short letter, I’m looking forward to some improvements after this saddening event. I’m expecting procedures to prevent this from happening again. If things don’t get any better, then I’ll certainly lose a percentage of my faith in humanity. This despicable attitude should not, at all costs, be tolerated. If you’ve got some personal problems, kindly do not bring it to the nurturing grounds, or in other words, at school, with the simple reason that you are WORKING.

Very sincerely yours,
John H. Watson, M.D.

0 comments:

Post a Comment