What You Can Find Here

This blog contains sentiments from a very sentimental person. Please bear with his sentimentality.

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Religion getting involved in politics and other issues

Some events that took place in our country are one of the reasons why, although I'm a spiritual person and a believer of God, I strongly disapprove the activities of some religious sects that exist in the Philippines. Such activities include meddling with politics. Disapproval of the family planning project the country desperately needs, and now the blatant endorsement of presidential candidates and political parties recently. I think this is going too far.

First, I believe that religious sects must promote not a political candidate, but mental awareness in the Filipino people. I strongly believe that they must inspire the people not into voting a specific candidate that they prefer, but to vote wisely, to vote for who they think is right, not for the one whom religious leaders think is right. Otherwise, they shouldn't get involved in politics in any way. Why?

I do not like the idea of people who're under a particular religion being influenced with the leaders' preferences, which is absolutely inevitable. For one thing, it clouds one's judgment, preferring to agree with his superior's opinion than to formulate his own, because of the simple reason that they're the leaders of the religion he's in. I do not like the sound of that. Some people say religious organizations do this for unity. Well, to each his own, but my definition of unity is people's acceptance of each other in spite of differences in their mindsets, which is the axiom of society. A religion can endorse some random candidate, and surely not all will approve, but the point is, there will always be people who'll choose that candidate, probably partly because they just agree with the leaders' preferences, but mostly because the leaders chose that candidate in the first place. It clouds the judgment. It even biases it at times.

I hold no grudge to any religious sect at all, but I'm not happy with such activities. People electing someone to the government is an important event, where people think; where people contemplate about who they'll vote, based on their own thoughts. And a religion announcing its allegiance with a political candidate spoils what people must do in these times.

My point is this; I don't want people to vote someone just because somebody told them to, indirectly or directly, but because it's who they want, based on their own thinking. I'm not saying all of this because I dislike a political candidate, but to express my disappointment how people gradually lose their own disposition when it comes to making decisions.

Another example that proves this fact is the regular occurrence of bribery from some candidates' associates, or from the candidates themselves. Just a couple of bucks can ensure a poor man's vote, and that's just wrong. If you heard the news about vote-buying incidents in some precincts during the elections, you'll know what I mean. But then again, this has always been the axiom of competition when it comes to politics, and will forever be a part of the culture of man. I despise it all the same.

As I express my point of creating this post, I'm also speaking to each and everyone of you at the same time, not to taint your own judgment with outside influences. Follow your mind; not others'. Agree, disagree, but do not blindly submit to what others want. I just want people to vote on their own.

Please do not be offended if ever there are people who were. I am but a student who lives in a democratic government and thus, is free to express my own opinion. But then again, is it ever wrong for one to contribute something on his own?

0 comments:

Post a Comment