What You Can Find Here

This blog contains sentiments from a very sentimental person. Please bear with his sentimentality.

"There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chatting at the movies; unethical.

You went to a mall to watch a movie. I have no idea what you watched, but I do know that you're dying to watch that movie, and you will see it no matter what. I can't say for sure whether you bought some popcorn and whatnot, but I know that you were just in time for the trailer prior to the film. You move occasionally in your seat in an attempt to find a more comfortable position as your eyes stay glued on the wide screen as the opening appears. "Okay, here we go."

Then there were voices. You know that they're absolutely not from the film, because you're hearing them at the back. As you turn your head around, you see people talking to each other as if they're at their house. You try to ignore them, but the voices were just too noisy that you can't concentrate on what you're watching. You're now in despair. You're having a really hard time understanding the lines in the movie, for they are drowned by the voices behind you. You're thinking of telling them off, but you're worried that you might get into a bigger trouble. So you just sat there, playing deaf with the irritating chatter behind you as you attempt to at least absorb the synopsis of the movie. You go back home, sad and irritated about the fact that you didn't enjoy the movie at all. Such are the devastating capabilities of lack of ethics in the movie house.

I've been dealing with this problem almost all of my life. Yes, I've experienced those things I said above. And I must admit, I still feel annoyed by the fact that some people here in my country either don't understand the purpose of a movie house, or are inconsiderate of the folks they are disturbing. I confess myself extremely irritated when I watched Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at our local mall. Two old ladies were chatting throughout the movie and were even ranting about some scenes they don't even understand. Out of respect though, I preferred to just stay silent and feel bad about not being able to enjoy my 100+ pesos.

For those who are inconsiderately noisy while a movie's being shown, here's some news for you; the movie house is for, well, watching movies! Even if you're at home watching a TV show, wouldn't you be annoyed if someone constantly distracts you with needless talking? Also, don't give me an excuse that you're used to noises, (in case you are giving me this excuse) because not everybody is used to noises, including I. Another thing is, did you go all the way to the mall, pay around 100 pesos, just to talk about some BS at the movie house? That's pretty stupid. Although I'm not really concerned about how you handle your money, come on, we paid to watch, not to babble; might as well enjoy the privilege we have for paying.

I'm not condemning speaking even a single word while one is in the movie house. Even I do it. A little question about what happened in the story if you really missed some scenes, a permission to go to the restroom, those things are tolerable. But to actually start a long-running conversation, that ruins the movie-watching spirit.

The thing is this; do what you want at home, but do what must be done in the movie house, or any other establishment that observes a set of regulations. Let's just hide this practice in the name "etiquette."

0 comments:

Post a Comment